January 16th, 2021
This is one of those negotiation tips that more on the “…duh, that’s obvious…” side of things and as obvious as it is, the admonition to never show desperation becomes incredibly difficult to execute consistently. We know this to be true, just watch the Texas Hold ‘Em tournaments and see how many fail miserably at this.
Now we’ve all been in some bargaining where our innermost thoughts are that we really need this deal. We’re (somewhat) desperate. That’s just how the situation worked out.
But that doesn’t mean that we have to admit it and run up the white surrender flag or display all our cards.
If you find you’re entering one of these “I’m desperate to have this deal” situations, build in a strategy to conceal your desperation.
Never Show Desperation Strategies
- The first thing you do is slow down the process. Desperate people tip their hand by showing haste.
- Secondly, hint that you’re considering other options. There might not be any, but your opponent doesn’t know it.
- Thirdly, force your opponent to sell the value of their position. Challenge each point with probing questions.
- Fourth, ask them for a trade-off. Specifically, what ‘extra benefit’ can we attain if we make the affirmative decision today (right now) to accept their position. Flinch their response, whatever it is, and accept their proposal…after all you’re desperate.
Good negotiators know that they’re not always in an advantageous position, but they’re skilled at compensating for their desperation. It’s a skill worth developing as we KEEP Negotiating.
If you’d like to set up a zoom video conference from which at the leisure of your home, you can see my computer screen, ask real estate questions etc, text me at 424-361-0005 and I’d be happy to share the benefit of my near 40 years in the business. I’m like that Farmers Insurance commercial, “…we know a thing or two because we’ve seen a thing or two…” Want more information on our Virtual Home Buying Program?
Free Services You Should Use Now
I want to make sure you’re using at least one of these three services; it’s important because …
- the next two services are cutting edge in each of their categories and ◦the “Search Homes” platform below allows you to search PRIVATELY with your information secure and never sold! Did you know the big search platforms like Zillow, Realtor.com, Trulia, Redfin and the like, record your search patterns, what you looked at, how often you’re online, and all your personal and private contact info then they sell that information to multiple real estate agents and advertisers on their platforms?!?! 🤔 Ever wonder why you’re experiencing more spam calls and emails?
- they will help you be a smarter, more informed buyer, seller or owner of real estate.
- The second one’s importance is not so much the “value” component (let’s be honest, how accurate can a computer algorithm really be when nuancing “view”, “condition”, “micro-location” and/or “lot utility” variables), …
- rather the importance in the results of the “big data” tech that informs you how many REAL buyers are actually searching NOW for a home matching your home’s characteristics! No other broker can do this for you and I invest thousands of dollars to bring this service to my clients! Imagine how much more your home would sell, targeting these Buyers with a campaign increasing competition to own your home
- And the fourth service is our Virtual Home Buying service which is benefiting Sellers AND Buyers, click here to learn more
|Imagine the competitive edge you would have knowing how many REAL buyers are searching for a home like yours|