February 15th, 2020
For Chinese Buyers Feng Shui is the second most important factor in buying a home – behind neighborhood safety. Of survey respondents, 86 percent stated feng shui will play a role in future home-buying decisions; 79 percent are willing to invest more for a home that incorporates feng shui principles. Respondents are willing to pay an average of 16 percent more for a home that complies with feng shui philosophies.
Agencies with knowledge of feng shui are especially prone to success with Chinese buyers, as 36 percent says they wouldn’t even work with an agent who has no knowledge of feng shui. Some examples of deal-breakers that go against feng shui include: If the home is located at the end of a dead end street; If a road or river is bending away from the house, etc. Here are some tips about the principles and reasoning behind why for Chinese buyers Feng Shui is important
First some back ground; China surpassed Canada as the foreign country that spends the most on residential properties in the U.S.; Chinese buyers comprise 16 percent of international homebuyers. According to the 2015 Profile of International Home-buying Activity published by the National Association of Realtors (NAR), Chinese buyers spent an estimated $28.6 billion on residential U.S. real estate
Below are some examples of deal-breakers that go against feng shui and the reasoning behind those principles:
Chinese Buyers Feng Shui
Bad Feng Shui
- If the home is located at the end of a dead end street. Air cannot flow freely at a dead-end street, thus it accumulates dead air there. And when there’s a disaster — such as a fire — people in this property cannot evacuate from the back.
- If a road or river is bending away from the house. The shape of bending away is like a bow or a reaping hook — a hint suggesting fortune loss, disharmony in the family and abandonment — while bending around is a hint of being protected and embraced.
- If the home has a sloped backyard. It represents that the house is risky, while homes on a flat ground are more stable.
- If a home is surrounded by taller buildings. The owner in this type of property is suppressed by the surrounding energy.
- If the home’s back stairs directly face the front door. That’s because the ancient Chinese design philosophy says that all luck would flow out the front door.
- If the home’s front and back doors are aligned with one another. The energy flow between the two doors could be too aggressive, which is a negative sign in feng shui. It indicates losing fortune and health, theft and disharmony in the family. (Can you spot the positive feng shui principles in this home? click image)
- If the bed directly faces the door. The door is where wind enters the room. If the bed faces the door directly, the bed is facing the wind directly, which is harmful for people’s health. And people sleeping on the bed would have difficulty accumulating energy when facing the wind entrance.
- If a mirror faces the main door. Because the mirror pushes away all the good feng shui energy that is about to enter the house.
- If a mirror faces a bed. In ancient China, a mirror facing the bed is believed to be calling ghosts. Mirror has reflected light, which might cause neurasthenia.
- If a bathroom is located at the home’s center. The center of a home is a vital place. If it’s occupied by a bathroom, the owner will have bad luck in making money, and it’s harmful for the owner’s health as well.
- If the stove in the kitchen is visible from the main door. The fire from the stove will block the inflow of wealth.
- If the bathroom door faces the main door. The bathroom is not clean, and it will pollute the energy that people face when entering the main door.
- If the home is in close proximity to a hospital. People who are hospitalized are out of luck, sick people have disease and surgeries in the hospital have a murderous look, all of which have negative impact on the magnetic field around the area.
- If the home is in close proximity to temples, churches or cemetery. Energies of places for gods or ghosts are disrupted and effect human beings negatively.
- If the home is situated close to cinemas or theaters. Energy of cinemas and theaters is not stable; it’s up when an audience comes in and down when the audience leaves. The volatility will affect the energy atmosphere of that area. People living in that area have frequently changing luck.
- If the home is adjacent to elevated roads or a platform bridge suffers from the noise and shaking. People living in this environment tend to get neurasthenia.
- If the home has a front door that faces a big tree. The big tree in front of the front door can block the inflow of positive energy.
- If the home has an arched front door. The shape of the arched door is similar to a tombstone. The owner of the house is often ill-fated.
- If the home has a front door facing an elevator. The elevator tends to absorb energy from the home.
Good Feng Shui
- If a home is backed by a mountain. If there’s a mountain — preferably a round shape without a sharp corner — the owner of the property has backing, and it’s easier for the owner to have good fortune.
- The front door or the gate of a condo building facing the east or south. East is the direction where the sun rises, which indicates a bright future. Sitting in the north and facing the south is traditionally a perfect direction in feng shui as this direction is easiest to get the essence of nature.
- The opposite of any of the above “negative” feng shui features
Palos Verdes homes are high in demand by Chinese buyers; do an inventory of your home using this check list and see if you can make some corrections. It might make the difference of many, many more thousands of dollars above the cost of correction.
Meanwhile, did you know that my listings benefit from exposure on one of the largest Chinese brokerage sites? Want to learn more? Contact me using the link below.
845 N Crescent Heights Boulevard
18939 Bramhall Lane
17260 Circa Del Norte
Rancho Santa Fe,
21382 Dockside Circle
Did you find the information here helpful and/or useful? Reviews are important for local search engine rankings. Please take a moment and write a 5 star review here
Click picture below (from your mobile device) to get one of the best if not THE best app I’ve found to search for homes. Check out the “radar” function called “Spot” on lower right part of the app’s screen once you’ve installed it
Over 40 5 Star Reviews
Call Realty Best Palos Verdes Homes, 433 Via Corta, Palos Verdes Estates, CA 90274 (424) 226-2147